The third edition of my introduction to the p-adic numbers was published in July 2020. In addition to correcting all known typos, I added a lot of new material: doing p-adic numbers with Sage and GP, a section on visualizing the p-adic integers, a short discussion of integration, etc. I hope I made it better!
This book is aimed at advanced undergraduates and graduate students interested in beginning to learn about the p-adic numbers. It is written in a way that I hope makes it usable for independent study as well as for a class. The idea is to set you up for the deeper treatments and applications you will find in graduate texts and research monographs. An annotated list of some of what is available appears in an appendix.
p-adic Numbers is part of the Universitext series from Springer. The ISBNs are 978-3-030-47295-5 (ebook) and 978-3-030-47294-8 (softcover). You can access it at SpringerLink. It is also on Amazon, of course.
Table of contents
On the Third Edition
1. Apéritif: Hensel’s Analogy, How to Compute, Solving Congruences Modulo pn, Other Examples.
2. Foundations: Absolute Values on a Field, Basic Properties, Topology, Algebra.
3. The p-adic Numbers: Absolute Values on Q, Completions.
4. Exploring Qp: What We Already Know, p-adic Integers, The Elements of Qp, What Does Qp Look Like, Hensel’s Lemma, Using Hensel’s Lemma, Hensel’s Lemma for Polynomials, Local and Global.
5. Elementary Analysis in Qp:
Sequences and Series, Functions, Continuity, Derivatives, Integrals,
Power Series, Functions Defined by Power Series, Strassman’s
Theorem, Logarithm and Exponential Functions, The Structure
6. Vector Spaces and Field Extensions: Normed Vector Spaces over Complete Valued Fields, Finite-dimensional Normed Vector Spaces, Extending the p-adic Absolute Value, Finite Extensions of Qp, Classifying Extensions of Qp, Analysis, Example: Adjoining a p-th Root of Unity, On to Cp.
7. Analysis in Cp: Almost Everything Extends, Deeper Results on Polynomials and Power Series, Entire Functions, Newton Polygons.
8. Fun With Your New Head: problems to explore.Appendix A. Sage and GP: A (Very) Quick Introduction
Appendix B. Hints, Solutions, and Comments on the Problems
Appendix C. A Brief Glance at the Literature
I’ll try to collect here any typos or mistakes that are brought to my attention. If you think you’ve found something, send me an email!
I don’t have any errors yet for the third edition. There must be some.